22 June 2008

How NOT to Do the Dishes

So I just recently learned that the scrubber thing we have had in our sink for the past year or two is NOT one of the ones that you put dish soap in the handle and it goes into the sponge head part when you scrub the dishes. I thought my mom was going to pass out she was laughing so hard. Embarrassing.
But I mean, in my defense, there IS cap on the end of the handle that screws off. So its totally logical to assume you're supposed to put dish soap in there. What genius came up with THAT design.

Washing dishes is one of those things that is basically impossible to screw up, but yet I seem to find ways to do so anyway. Take last weekend, for example. Sure, I wash the dishes fairly often and have been for many years now. Its easy enough. But although I load and unload the dishwasher all the time, I've never actually run it, save maybe once with my mom's assistance. The one at the house is set to run automatically anyways. Last weekend, though, I was at the apartment and my dad had instructed me to run the dishwasher. So I did exactly what I thought I was supposed to do. But being the genius that I am, didn't realize/remember that you're supposed to use the powder shit, and put in liquid dish soap. Then I set the thing to run and went to watch some Law and Order while I did math homework.
A little bit later I came back to the kitchen to get a glass of grapefruit juice and it was like I had accidentally walked onto the set of one of those cheesy "poor little rich girl" movies where the moron heiress screws up every aspect of normal life that she attempts. There was a HUGE pile of soap suds strewn across the floor, and continuing to leak out of the bottom of the dishwasher. I literally gasped out loud, which is something I just don't do. I stood there in shock for a good few minutes and then went and watched the end of my show, HAHA. I didn't know what else to do.

Then of course right as I go into the kitchen to do something about it, my dad gets home. He always choses the best times to come home early. He didn't really get mad, just treated me like I was stupid. Which I guess I kind of was. If it was my mom she probably would have just laughed with me. As terrible as it was it was also kind of hilarious. I couldn't laugh in front of my dad though. He's kind of a jerk sometimes. A lot of the times.

But oh well. Another learning experience for E. I don't think I'm ever going to forget what kind of soap to use ever again.

No comments: